Nintendo is releasing their *New* 3DS XL here in the US tomorrow and to help old 3DS XL owners with the transfer progress, Nintendo has released a video with explaining the 12 step process. Spoilers: it’s awful and requires a screw driver. The original 3DS to 3DS XL transfer was equally as cumbersome especially if you had purchased anything from the Nintendo store OR you were in the ambassador program.
According to Polygon, Gamestop is also running a $100 trade-in program for your original 3DS XL. Again, this adds some strain on the situations since you’d need both new and old 3DS on the same WiFi in order to do transfer. You have to call your local Gamestop and see if they will allow the following process to happen:
- Go to GameStop. Purchase a $200 New 3DS XL
- Take your system home, go through the transfer process
- Take your existing system and your new system back to GameStop
- Return your new system for a full refund of $200
- Trade-in your existing system for $100
- Re-buy your New 3DS XL, use the $100 credit to pay for half the purchase
It’s hard to believe this is what you’ll be doing tomorrow to score the $100 trade credit but it’s really your only option if you’re trading in and want to keep your games.
Will you be upgrading to the New 3DS XL tomorrow?