Due to the drama surrounding this design, I've shelved the GEM. I've decided to take the high road, move on, and not devote any time or energy into this subject. All I will say for now is you've sadly been gaslighted by Xipher. This drama only hurts the community.
With the GBA GEM SP kit, you can turn your clamshell Game Boy Advance SP into an unhinged handheld like the original Game Boy, Game Boy Pocket, and Game Boy Color. The GEM is inspired by the original Game Boy DMG, the various unhinged SPs out there, and the GBA Slab SP's top loading concept.
The GEM started as a final "sunsetting" feature push for our Remixed Slab but ultimately was scrapped and started over from scratch in order to make the best Unhinged SP we could without the limits of someone else's design files. We consider the GEM to be the spiritual successor to our Remix Slab kit and so it improves on it's many unique features we designed like the angled L & R soft tactile buttons, front light pipes, brightness button, and the custom button PCB that press fits the speaker like the original SP. All of these features will make building this project that much easier and enjoyable!
We want to thank everyone who voted on social media for the speaker grill's design and placement (we were team "B" by the way) as well as other ideas like the lanyard slots (thanks b4retro) and properly oriented "L" and "R" text on the shoulder buttons (thanks zosejelaya)! This was truly a community driven design!
- Custom button PCB with integrated FFC sockets and press contact speaker pads like the original GBA SP motherboard
- Designed to look like the original DMG Game Boy
- Designed for Game Boy Color buttons and silicone membranes (not included)
- Smaller footprint than the Slab: 119mm x 80mm x 22mm
- Brightness button
- Front facing light pipes
- Lanyard wrist strap cutout
- Top and Bottom shell fit together like a real Game Boy with overlapping edges to keep your GBA SP safe
- Screwless slide and lock battery door with the "GBA GEM SP" logo stamped in it
- Uses very few screws from the original Game Boy Advance SP
- Integrated slide and lock top back panel without the need for screws
- Large, angled L and R with soft tactile buttons
- Volume slider and power switch lettering
- Tall and odd shaped cart support like the Game Boy Camera
- Accessory cutouts for the Wireless Transfer Adapter
- Full D-Pad range of motion for spot on diagonal movement in games like The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
- No need to remove the original Game Boy Advance SP L and R tactile buttons from the motherboard
What's included in the kit
- GBA GEM SP Shell
- Left and Right Soft Tactile buttons
- Brightness Tactile button
- Light Pipe
- Button PCB
- Flex cable
What's required but not included
- FunnyPlaying GBA SP IPS Screen (this is the only screen that's supported)
- Game Boy Color D-Pad, face buttons, and silicone membranes (FunnyPlaying tested and recommended)
- Game Boy Advance SP (you'll need parts from the shell like the screws - 4 long tri-wing, 7 short tri-wing, 1 long Philips)